Thursday, October 28, 2010

My first attempt at corn rows


So we're all a little under the weather here, and I decided to take advantage of - well, of not feeling like doing anything else - to try braiding Eleanor's hair for the first time.

It took a total of about an hour in three installments - I did it while she was eating, buckled into her booster seat. Which of course means my own dinner was not very satisfying, but oh well!

I encountered two problems:

1) My own lack of expertise. Basically corn rows are like tiny tiny French braids in straight lines. The basic concept isn't that complicated. But the execution takes significant dexterity as well as a head that isn't wiggling around. So my braids are a bit uneven and nowhere near tight enough. (I'm sure they're not tight enough because Eleanor didn't complain that the braiding hurt; judging from everything I've read the pain is necessary to a good finished product!) But they're cute if you don't look too closely - and I won't post a close-up photo to give you the opportunity...

2) Eleanor's hair is still not very long or thick; less than two inches in some places. So it's hard to hold on to, especially when it's saturated with hair detangler and cream and other slippery moisturizing stuff. And then I finish and have these very tiny, not thick braids.

Anyway, we finished by clipping pink butterfly barrettes onto all the ends. I asked Eleanor how she liked her pretty braids. Her response:

4 comments:

  1. Good work, Daughter. Although this would not be my first choice of what to do when I'm not feeling well....

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you rocked those cornrows! You are an awesome momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go white girl! Working the cornrows out! I'm impressed :)

    ReplyDelete