Thursday, February 3, 2011

snow day = hair day

Let's be honest: staying cooped up inside for three days straight is not ideal for most of us. I keep thinking I will get all these projects done...and what do I do? Play with the kids, read books, bake, and play video games. I toss in a chore or two and some homework to help me not feel too sticky and useless, but I think I've had my fill of midweek vacation. And yes, I could write a whole post on my besetting sin of sloth, but...I'm too lazy. Maybe another day.

(For those of you who are wondering how this particular snowy week is any different from the normal life of a stay-at-home-mom in winter...well, humph! It is! This particular mom usually has mornings at the gym, a couple evenings a week in classesl, a few students to teach in the afternoons, and perhaps a morning playdate, not to mention the excitement of grocery shopping and running to the bank. None of that this week! I am SO grateful Scott is home, though - without his wonderful company and conversation I'd really be going stir-crazy.)

Anyway, another thing I tend to put off is spending hours upon hours styling Eleanor's hair. Hence her most frequent styles of Afro-plus-headband, or two-pigtails-with-bows. Not creative, but they get me through the gym and grocery store without anyone openly pitying her for her white-mama-hair. I think.

But today I decided to kill two birds with one stone and try a new style I saw in a book. Not sure what to call it, maybe triangle braids? Here it is:



Eleanor LOVES beads. She did a great job sitting still, too. She and Miles spent a long time just playing with all our beads (which used to be sorted neatly in their compartments...)



Action shot! Nora shows off how her beads go "clicky-clacky" when she shakes her head back and forth - a favorite sport these days.


I've also realized that we need to buy more beads. I'm not done with the back of her hair yet, but we've already hit something like 36 braids, and I don't really have enough beads and snaps (the part that clips on the end of the braid to hold the beads on) to do her whole head in anything "matching". Hence the multicolored look today.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I don't have to sleep on those things.... They look adorable, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, white momma! It looks really cute. :)

    ReplyDelete