Friday, February 3, 2012

unwelcome surprise

It's been a bit of a rough week. First, I hurt my back working out on Tuesday (not seriously injured, just stressed/sore/strained muscles), so going up stairs or bending over to pick up anything at all has been challenging. Also on Tuesday, our stove died, right in the middle of a massive amount of freezer cooking. So now I have a fridge full of chopped vegetables and raw chicken, and I have no way to make the appropriate sauces to complete the dishes. The replacement part is ordered, but will take a week to get here.

Incidentally, do you know how hard it is to come up with a non-cereal breakfast without a stove? Eggs...no. Pancakes..no. Oatmeal...no. I know many of those have a baked version, but that takes a lot more time to cook and plan-ahead-ability. And most of my go-to quickie dinners also involve the stove. Macaroni and cheese? Pasta with some kind of sauce and sauteed veggies? Stir-fry with rice? Even breakfast-for-dinner? All out.

So today, I've been icing my back and lying on the sofa as much as possible, which isn't as much as I'd like. The kids are playing quietly downstairs (always a bad sign, I know). Juliet wakes up and I head downstairs to see...this.



"Mommy, we knew you weren't feeling well, so we made ourselves sandwiches! And we made you one. Smashed cheese!"

Eleanor adds, "Yes, peanut-butter and cheese!"

Miles: "There's a BIG glob of peanut butter on the floor. But we put it on a towel!"

Thanks, guys.

Here is Miles' sandwich:



It's basically crumbled cheese with about a fourth of a cup of Miracle Whip Light. A closer look:



Eleanor's may look better at first glance, but believe me, it's not.



She apparently opened my new jar of peanut butter, and slathered it on. No jam, nothing but a THIRD OF A JAR of peanut butter! I kid you not, this sandwich is an inch and a half thick. Did she eat it? Well, she started to. I think she got full after about 3 bites. So she says, "It's OK, I'll save it for Daddy!" So we did.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this....you are going to cherish this post and pictures one day;)

    ReplyDelete