Wednesday, March 21, 2012

how do mothers accomplish ANYTHING?

OK, so I had a beautifully empty day on my calendar. I envisioned myself working out, doing meaningful special together-time projects with the kids, cooking something that doesn't involve following directions on a box, learning my Bach, and re-styling Eleanor's hair, which is getting fuzzy and dilapidated (don't want to be the bad white mama now!) And now it's 9:30, I'm exhausted, and I can't figure out what I did all day. So I'm trying to estimate:

Getting dressed and ready to go: 5 minutes
Cooking/cleanup/dishes/feeding children: about 2.5 hours total
feeding/changing/actively playing with baby: about 2 hours
Workout at gym: 1 hour
jogging to/from gym with kids: 1 hour
shower: 20 minutes
working on "school" type stuff with kids: 45 minutes
trying unsuccessfully to get violinist to focus: 30 minutes
gardening/seed planting project with kids: 20 minutes
Adoption paperwork: 30 minutes
working on CBS study: 30 minutes
braiding Eleanor's hair: 2 hours
writing down what I ate: 15 minutes
breaking up fights/arbitrating/sending kids to time out: 45 minutes
blogging: 10 minutes

reading: zero
watching TV: zero
playing video games: zero
working on thesis: zero
laundry: zero
cleaning bathrooms: zero
learning my music for rehearsal Friday: zero

That adds up to about 13 hours I think, and I've been awake since 7:30, so we're missing an hour in there somewhere. Maybe that's my problem: the missing hour. Actually, that probably involved answering emails, taking a few phone calls, and politely telling the two Mormon "elders" that I was too busy to chat. Is waking up earlier really my only option for clean clothes, clean bathrooms, finishing my degree, and not getting fired from my music gigs?

3 comments:

  1. - I'm glad you're a good sight-reader.
    - What's with the violinist?
    - Are you still humbly grateful?
    - Actually, it sounds like a pretty productive day. It's all relative; next time write fewer things on your to-do list.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds way more productive than most of my days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Violinist was hyper and only wanted to play what he wanted to play, very fast and sloppily. So we put the violin away, cheerfully, I might add.

    I forgot to include bathroom breaks - that had to be 10 minutes or so throughout the day, right? And I spent 40 minutes before bedtime in the bathtub working on my music and Bible study, so that's something.

    ReplyDelete