Sunday, March 25, 2012

Athlete in the family

Since it was, yet again, a lovely spring day, Miles and I went for a jog this afternoon. He's been asking to accompany me, and since I'm pretty slow for an adult, I figured he could probably match pace pretty well. I think we'll let him join me next time I sign up for a 5k.

Recall from my earlier posts: I don't mean a "run". I do indeed mean a "jog": a slow shuffle barely faster than walking; probably in the 12 minute mile range.

But I just checked my map, and we went 3.4 miles, only pausing at the occasional traffic signal. That's pretty far for a five year old, and for his leg length, a pretty decent pace. I'm very proud of him! A few times on the way home, he'd suggest stopping to sit on a bench, or say he hoped a light would be red so we could stop. But no complaining, and he had no problem "towing" me up hills or "sprinting" so we could make it across a street before the light turned red.

We played games counting squirrels and birds and American flags, and just chatted about this and that - it was easily the most enjoyable run of that length I've had. He's good company!

The only down side - and this was actually kind of cute - is that he wants to hold my hand the whole way. Which messes up my rhythm and feels a bit awkward, so I tried to talk him into just holding hands as we crossed streets and not on the in-between bits.

4 comments:

  1. Awwww.... I was ready to be impressed (from the title), but the cuteness factor trumped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Miles!! that is pretty great- there are some runs in Chicago that have a tot/ kid division- Anni ran one when she was 1 1/2 and they all got medals-you should look into it if he really does like it! we'd be there with you (after July that is :) Happy Running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am super impressed! Miles will be beating all of our times soon -- Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hand holding bit is priceless...what precious moments!!!

    ReplyDelete