Saturday, March 10, 2012

A joke no one else will think is funny

Today, on this lovely spring-like afternoon, I went for a jog and took Miles with me on his bike. On the way home, he was complaining about a very loud car, and I took on the Daddy role briefly and explained about mufflers. I felt rather proud of myself.

A few blocks later, a van screeched to a halt, brakes squealing. I explained that that car probably needed new brakes, and that was why it sounded like that.

Miles answered, "Yeah, it sounds JUST like macaroni cooking in a pot!" Um...?

It took me a second, but I got it. And now I will explain it to you:

We have a magnetic induction cooktop (which, incidentally, I LOVE when it's not being repaired). When a pot of water is boiling, and steam is escaping between the lid and pot, because of the magnetic vibrations it makes this very high-pitched metal-on-metal squeal until you reach over and adjust the lid.

Precisely like a van in need of a brake job.

So yes, Miles, that guy's brakes did sound like cooking macaroni.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I thought he was going to say how you left the macaroni on the stove top too long and it was burning, but this is funny as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. to be filed in the jokes-aren't-funny-after-you-explain-them department

    ReplyDelete