Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A brief respite from the terrible threes


So Miles is three. And what other moms have warned me about - that three can often be worse (aka more "challenging") than two - has certainly proved true thus far. Eleanor, in contrast, seems to be over her clinginess and separation anxiety, and has turned into Miss Easy-to-be-around, temporarily at least. I figure she's got around a hundred, maybe two hundred word vocabulary and is starting to string words together, so simply being able to communicate what she wants has helped her moods, I think.

But today was really pretty lovely for both. Getting up was rocky for Miles - he has a really hard time in the mornings if he doesn't wake up on his own, and when you don't wake up on your own until 8:00, unfortunately Mom has to do it for you sometimes. So he basically ends up a crying puddle of misery on the floor or his bed, whining that he "JUST wants to go back to sleep, please leave me alone, Mommy! Go close the door, please! I don't WANT to wake up, I don't NEED to go potty..."

Unlike some mornings, though, he snapped out of it pretty quickly today. We had a breakfast where he actually ate, then we made it to the gym in time for class, and got rave reviews from the childcare attendant, who asked me, "Do they always get along this well? They don't fight? He's just so sweet to her, bringing her toys and giving her kisses and encouraging her."

Well, it's nice to hear. I also (a few months ago) was told by Eleanor's physical therapist that Miles is one of "the best behaved three-year-old boys she's seen." Ha HA! She obviously hasn't had to eat lunch with him or had him yell "NO!" in her face three billion times a day.

But I digress. Today, as I said, was pretty lovely. Miles painted on his easel and then listened to his headphones while I had to be with Eleanor in her PT session, and then we had a lunch where he actually ate again (leftover macaroni, thanks Mabel) and some sweet brother-sister play until naptime. He SLEPT during nap (about a 50/50 chance of that happening lately), and then woke up in a sweet mood and helped me make pizza dough and set the table for dinner. Bathtime went pretty smoothly, ditto bedtime. I just wish I knew what I could do to increase the odds of THIS day happening instead of, oh, a day like Monday, for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment