Tuesday, January 5, 2010

well, we can give it a try...

Seriously, I'm wondering why the girl who's never successfully kept a journal in her life would try blogging. Ostensibly, to share my everyday life with those who might care, right? Also, like my mom keeps nagging me to do, to put down the cute events and sayings of my kids before they're lost in the ether of my long-term memory (which isn't terrific, as compared to my short-term memory, which helped me slaughter many a multiple-choice exam). But if this blog doesn't blossom, don't say I didn't warn you. Whoever "you" may be (Mom?) Hey, I got a B in "Freshman Experience" - the easiest A out there - because I couldn't keep a journal!

Really, though, who would want to read this? There are tons of mommy-blogs out there, many of them written far more cleverly and wittily than I can aspire to do. Actually, I wonder if we're the most overpopulated category of blog? Because, among mothers, we fall into one of several categories: a)we think everything about our kids must be fascinating, and we know the world must be waiting with bated breath (I've seen that spelled "baited" sometimes, and it just sounds so unappealing...like your breath is reminiscent of night crawlers, or hot dogs, or the like), b)conversation with the toddler and preschooler set does occasionally pall (yes, I admitted it!) and we wonder whether our formerly articulate selves still exist, c)we spend so many hours away from our children that writing about the time we DO have together makes it feel more special or lasting or something, or d) we are inspired by our more clever and articulate mommy-friends (whose blogs we follow and envy) to try to do the same, because surely our own adorable children must be as interesting as theirs, right? For myself, I think I'm mostly in category b, with a healthy dose of category d.

No comments:

Post a Comment