Tuesday, February 23, 2010

ooh, I feel villainous

For those of you who don't know already, I'm back in school, hoping to start on a second master's degree in linguistics (a field I've been fascinated by for years, albeit from a distance). I'm currently just taking two classes: a graduate intro-level "Fundamentals of Linguistics" class, and "Sociolinguistics," aka "Language and Culture," which is a bit like anthropology but specifically as it relates to languages and speech use.

Anyway, one of my classmates just told me she sees me as the "future arch-nemesis" of our sociolinguistics professor.

What does that even mean? This friend appears to like me, so I don't think it's that I'm scary or mean. (Well, I might BE both those things, but I don't think that's what she was saying here, anyway.) And it's not that the professor reviles me or anything; she manages to appear to like everyone in the class (more kudos to her!)

I think it has to do with the difference between the two classes; as far as I can tell so far (and take this with a grain of salt, as I'm a newbie!) sociolinguistics is a bit softer and fuzzier, more about people and how they relate and communicate, far more qualitative than quantitative, etc. Traditional linguistics seems to be very analytical, logical...for lack of a better word, "math-y." It involves deriving grammatical rules from the language use you observe; setting up taxonomies and hierarchies, structures and syntax, that sort of thing. I am far more analytical than creative, and hence seem to be fairly good at it (which is tremendously egotistical to say, considering I've been studying this for all of eight weeks or so now, but bear with me...)

I think my friend's comment means that she sees me as good at traditional/theoretical linguistics (not sure if that's really a technical term, but "Chomskyan" may not mean much to anyone outside the field), and that type of linguistics appears to have quite a rivalry with socio, so she's anticipating me developing into a rival for any sociolinguistics advocate, my professor included.

Anyway, I'm sort of flattered; being an arch-nemesis sounds kind of cool, and I've certainly never been described that way to my face before. But I'm trying not to be slightly hurt, too, because I happen to LIKE socio, and to find it really interesting. I would like to be good at it, too, and not just relegated to "oh, that girl who's just weirdly good at math." Is she saying that I'm not good at socio, or that my comments in class are somehow lacking in content or quality? Or I'm just bad with people, and would do better in fields that don't involve them?

For what it's worth, this whole post would probably not have been worth writing if I wasn't thinking about the linguistic value of my friend's comment to me. What does it mean? Just pondering...

5 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to be someone's arch nemesis! :) Do you challenge the prof in class a lot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's probably because you're scary and mean. Or more likely, because you speak up and ask questions. Perhaps in linguistics academic-speak, the opposite of arch-nemesis is wallflower.

    And hey, some of us have heard of Noam Chomsky; just don't even mention his politics, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I really never challenge the prof - she's smart, knows her subject, and I haven't even a clue as to what her politics are. And lots of people speak up in class, not just me. I think it has more to do with the OTHER class, where I really am the only one who interacts with the professor, or who appears to understand the subject matter. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I linked here via my friend Kelley. I'm in an M.A. Linguistics program. When I first started, I came in as a member of the "Socio" camp- all excited about the social, culture, anthro aspects of language. I was quickly converted however. The other side is fabulous. I'm at NEIU. Where are you? Lx geeks unite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah! I'm actually at NEIU too, and apparently I am turning into Judy's arch-nemesis. I think the socio side is tremendously interesting, but I'm awfully left-brained - if I want to really excel in something, I might be better off choosing The Dark Side like you...I hope to run into you at NEIU sometime!

    ReplyDelete